ABOUT FRANCISCO LINDOR
Now fans know what the Tribe was up against when they tried to sign Francisco Lindor on a long-term deal. Did you notice Lindor drawing? a $ 341 million 10-year contract with the Mets?
Notice the total … $ 341 million. Why $ 341 million? Because Fernando Tatis Jr. signed a $ 340 million 14-year deal with San Diego in February.
Obviously, Lindor and his agent wanted to exceed that total contract value. The $ 341 million is the third richest contract in MLB history. The leaders are Mike Trout ($ 426 million) and Mookie Betts ($ 365 million).
Players and agents keep score not only on the field, but also on payday. Lindor wanted to be one of the highest paid players in baseball. Agent David Meter knows it’s in Lindor’s interest and his to strike a big deal.
How do agents attract new customers? By negotiating deals like Meter did with Lindor and the Mets. When an agent agrees to a team-friendly deal, other agents often use it against him when acquiring new customers.
It’s the game in the game.
In February 2019 Bryce Harper signed a $ 330 million deal with the Phillies. Why $ 330 million? Because it was slightly more than the $ 325 million deal previously signed by Giancarlo Stanton with Miami. At the time, the deal with Stantons was the richest. Since then, Trout, Betts, Tatis and now Lindor have passed Harper in terms of total dollars.
Lindor has wanted to get paid to the elite of games for years. It’s a common goal for great players. He also knows that a large market offers many approval options.
He now has both.
THE ENDLESS AGREEMENTS
Ten years: Lindor. Twelve Years: Betts. Fourteen years old: Tatis.
Such a contract for everyone but the few largest and richest franchises is stupid and financially irresponsible. Even for the teams with a lot of money, a contract of ten or more years always ends up being a bad deal.
I don’t know exactly what Lindor’s agents asked of the Tribe. I don’t know what Cleveland has to offer either. But from the early days when Lindor emerged as a star, he had at least one eye on free agency. One reason is that he received a $ 2.9 million signing bonus when he was selected out of high school in the 2011 draft.
He told friends the deal gave him the option to wait and not sign the contract extensions offered by the Tribe. In 2019 he received $ 10.5 million. In 2020 it was $ 17.5 million (less than that due to COVID).
I’ve written columns before about how teams sign players for these decade-type deals and trade them a few years later. Not only that, they pay a portion of the salary for a larger market team to ditch the contract.
In the spring of 2019, Colorado signed Nolan Arenado to an eight-year deal worth $ 260 million. Two years later, the Rockies realized the deal was too rich. Arenado found out that his team was doing a massive renovation. He was then traded to St. Louis for potential clients … and the Rockies agreed to pay the Cardinals $ 50 million of the $ 200 million left from his deal.
All of this cries out for MLB to have some sort of maximum contract system, much like the NBA where deals are limited to four or five years. But it is doubtful that this will happen in the next labor negotiations, as the current deal expires at the end of the 2021 season.
MORE THOUGHTS ABOUT LINDOR
1. If they had to do it again, I wonder if the tribe would wish it had traded Lindor before the 2020 season. Remember all the rumors with the Dodgers for spring training 2020? I’m not sure what they offered, but I was told it was similar to what the Dodgers sent to Boston for the 2020 season for Betts.
2. The best player Boston received was an outfielder Alex Verdugo, a .290 career hitter (.803 OPS). They also received class A infielder Jeter Downs (first round pick 2017, Rated # 2 prospect in Boston’s farm system) and catcher Connor Wong. Downs and Wong are likely to play in Class AA this season.
3. The Tribe received two big league-ready players for Lindor. Andres Gimenez is the starting shortstop. He is an above average defender with a chance of becoming elite. Amed Rosario (a former short stop) is trying to learn midfield. The Tribe also sent Carlos Carrasco to the Mets in the deal.
4. This from MLB.com is right about Anthony DiComo after the trade: New York once believed it had a budding superstar in Rosario, but he struggled offensively and defensively for much of his first four years in the majors before losing his runway to Gimnez in 2020 (Mets President Sandy Alderson noted that Gimnez, who is highly regarded for both his glove and striking tools, was one of the most popular questions from general manager opponents this winter.
5. The Tribe also added two very low minor league prospects: Josh Wolf and Isaiah Greene. Wolf was a second round pick by the Mets in the 2019 draft. He threw only eight innings in rookie ball. The 20-year-old will start in Class A.
6. Greene was a second-round pick in 2020. As COVID-19 wiped out the minors in 2020, the 19-year-old outfielder is starting his pro career this season. It’s about the same story for Wolf. So these are highly regarded prospects, but extremely young and far from the majors.
7. I have no idea if the package Boston received from Dodgers is better than what the Tribe received from the Mets. It takes time to evaluate deals with many potential customers. But it was clear that Cleveland had to trade Lindor.
8. Carrasco was also commercially available. Now 34, the former Tribe pitcher had a sore elbow early in camp. Than he tore his hamstring. His arm should be fine now, but he opened the season on the disabled list. Carrasco treated leukemia in 2019. Last season, he was 3-4 with a 2.91 ERA in 12 starts for Cleveland.
The Talkin Tribe Opening Day event takes place virtually on Mondays from noon 1:30 pm – featuring sports writers and Native American columnists from cleveland.com and The Plain Dealer. Tickets can be reserved here. Plus, join our VIP experience and get the chance to mingle with former Cleveland Indians players and more. There are only 150 tickets available for this exclusive experience and tickets can only be won through our sweepstakes.
RECENT TERRY PLIUTO COLUMNS
Scribbles on the opening day of the tribe: Pitch well, hit useless, Luplow on his way?
How many games will the Tribe win this season?
What are we missing when it comes to Cleveland Indians’ concerns?
Terrys Talkin Browns: Let’s take a look at Andrew Berrys’ moves
What do spring cuts say about the trunk?
What happened to the Cavs & Andre Drummond?
Speaking to myself about Jake Bauers, Bobby Bradley & The Tribe
Is Bradley Zimmer the best option in midfield?
Terrys Talkin Browns: Andrew Berrys Defensive Makeover
New Native American Face Masks For Sale: Here you can buy Cleveland Indians themed face covers for coronavirus protection, including a single mask ($ 14.99) and a 3-pack ($ 24.99). All proceeds from MLB are donated to charity.
What Are The Main Benefits Of Comparing Car Insurance Quotes Online
LOS ANGELES, CA / ACCESSWIRE / June 24, 2020, / Compare-autoinsurance.Org has launched a new blog post that presents the main benefits of comparing multiple car insurance quotes. For more info and free online quotes, please visit https://compare-autoinsurance.Org/the-advantages-of-comparing-prices-with-car-insurance-quotes-online/ The modern society has numerous technological advantages. One important advantage is the speed at which information is sent and received. With the help of the internet, the shopping habits of many persons have drastically changed. The car insurance industry hasn't remained untouched by these changes. On the internet, drivers can compare insurance prices and find out which sellers have the best offers. View photos The advantages of comparing online car insurance quotes are the following: Online quotes can be obtained from anywhere and at any time. Unlike physical insurance agencies, websites don't have a specific schedule and they are available at any time. Drivers that have busy working schedules, can compare quotes from anywhere and at any time, even at midnight. Multiple choices. Almost all insurance providers, no matter if they are well-known brands or just local insurers, have an online presence. Online quotes will allow policyholders the chance to discover multiple insurance companies and check their prices. Drivers are no longer required to get quotes from just a few known insurance companies. Also, local and regional insurers can provide lower insurance rates for the same services. Accurate insurance estimates. Online quotes can only be accurate if the customers provide accurate and real info about their car models and driving history. Lying about past driving incidents can make the price estimates to be lower, but when dealing with an insurance company lying to them is useless. Usually, insurance companies will do research about a potential customer before granting him coverage. Online quotes can be sorted easily. Although drivers are recommended to not choose a policy just based on its price, drivers can easily sort quotes by insurance price. Using brokerage websites will allow drivers to get quotes from multiple insurers, thus making the comparison faster and easier. For additional info, money-saving tips, and free car insurance quotes, visit https://compare-autoinsurance.Org/ Compare-autoinsurance.Org is an online provider of life, home, health, and auto insurance quotes. This website is unique because it does not simply stick to one kind of insurance provider, but brings the clients the best deals from many different online insurance carriers. In this way, clients have access to offers from multiple carriers all in one place: this website. On this site, customers have access to quotes for insurance plans from various agencies, such as local or nationwide agencies, brand names insurance companies, etc. "Online quotes can easily help drivers obtain better car insurance deals. All they have to do is to complete an online form with accurate and real info, then compare prices", said Russell Rabichev, Marketing Director of Internet Marketing Company. CONTACT: Company Name: Internet Marketing CompanyPerson for contact Name: Gurgu CPhone Number: (818) 359-3898Email: [email protected]: https://compare-autoinsurance.Org/ SOURCE: Compare-autoinsurance.Org View source version on accesswire.Com:https://www.Accesswire.Com/595055/What-Are-The-Main-Benefits-Of-Comparing-Car-Insurance-Quotes-Online View photos
to request, modification Contact us at Here or [email protected]