In a recently published study evaluating frontal theta-transcranial alternating current stimulation (tACS), patients with multiple sclerosis (MS) treated with this approach demonstrated improvements in cognitive function after 1 session. The intervention was acceptable and tolerable, with information processing sleep enhanced and greater impacts not predicated on higher stimulation intensity.
Led by Wan Yu Hsu, PhD, an associate specialist in the department of neurology at the University of California, San Francisco, the study included 60 patients with MS with cognitive complaints who were enrolled into 3 groups (2 mA tACS, 1 mA tADCS, or sham) in a double-blind, randomized fashion. The study began with patients being assessed on their cognitive status through the Symbol Digit Modalities Test (SDMT), a traditional measure used.
Patients then underwent a 20-minute stimulation and completed a tablet-based cognitive program, AKL-T03 (vide infra). This cognitive tool was developed based on the principles of NeuroRacer, an innovative cognitive intervention designed to engage fontal neural networks. After the 20-minute stimulation, a second SDMT assessment was performed using a different version. Both participants, and study staff administering the tACS and SDMT, were blinded to stimulation group assignment.
Coming into the study, 18 of the 60 participants had SDMT z scores of –1.5 or lower, with no significant differences between groups. Overall, after the intervention, the mean increase in SDMT was 2.89 (±1.31) for the 2mA group, 5.05 (±1.39) for the 1mA group, and 0.40 (±1.19) for controls. Post-hoc paired t-tests showed that the 1mA group had a significant increase in SDMT score after stimulation (t = 3.63; P = .002; adjusted P with FDR correction = 0.006), the 2mA group showed a marginal improvement in SDMT score (t = 2.20; P = .04; adjusted P = .06), while there was no significant change among controls (t = 0.33; P = .74; adjusted P = .74).
- Efficacy of Frontal Theta-tACS in MS Patients: The study indicates that frontal theta-transcranial alternating current stimulation (tACS) may offer cognitive improvements in patients with multiple sclerosis (MS) after a single session, suggesting its potential as a viable intervention for addressing cognitive concerns in this population.
- Tolerability and Safety: The intervention was found to be acceptable and tolerable among MS patients, with no significant adverse effects reported. The mean scores for potential unpleasant tACS-induced sensations were low, supporting the notion that tACS is a well-tolerated approach in this patient population.
- Dose-Dependent Cognitive Effects: While both 1mA and 2mA groups demonstrated cognitive improvements, the 1mA group showed a significant increase in Symbol Digit Modalities Test (SDMT) score after stimulation, with a higher proportion achieving clinically meaningful improvements. Neurologists should consider the potential dose-dependent effects when exploring the application of frontal theta-tACS in MS patients for cognitive enhancement.
Additional findings revealed that 38% and 61% of those in the 2mA and 1mA groups, respectively, achieved clinically meaningful improvements in SDMT, demonstrated by increases of at least 4 points, vs 30% of those on sham. Pre- and post-tACS assessment using Cohen’s d showed a small effect size for the 2mA group (0.32) and a moderate effect size for the 1 mA group (0.51). Overall, the 1mA groups benefited from prefrontal cortex (PFC) theta-tACS but the 2mA group only showed a numerical improvement in SDMT after theta-tACS.
Between the 3 groups, there was no reported statistical differences in the perception of stimulation and all patients completed the study. On a scale of 0 to 10, the mean scores of each of the 10 potential unpleasant tACS-induced sensations were rated below 2.5 by patients, otherwise considered noticeable but not interfering with activities. None of the patients rated a score of 7 or higher for any of the 10 sensations, suggesting that tACS is a tolerable approach in this patient population.
“Mechanisms underlying tACS-induced SDMT improvement, such as changes in frontal theta activity, frontal network efficiency, and how the heterogeneity of brain lesions affects stimulation effect, should be investigated,” the study authors wrote. “Further, the safety and tolerability of the intervention support its investigation in domains other than cognition, such as pain and fatigue. Finally, the acceptability and portability benefits suggest that it will be possible to adapt tACS to remote, in-home settings, which would substantially improve access to rehabilitative treatments to mitigate cognitive dysfunction in PwMS.”
1. Hsu WY, Zanto T, Park JE, Gazzaley A, Bove RM. Effects of transcranial alternating current stimulation on cognitive function in people with multiple sclerosis: a randomized controlled trial. Mult Scler & Relat Disord. 2023;80:105090. doi:10.1016/j.msard.2023.105090.
The mention sources can contact us to remove/changing this article
What Are The Main Benefits Of Comparing Car Insurance Quotes Online
LOS ANGELES, CA / ACCESSWIRE / June 24, 2020, / Compare-autoinsurance.Org has launched a new blog post that presents the main benefits of comparing multiple car insurance quotes. For more info and free online quotes, please visit https://compare-autoinsurance.Org/the-advantages-of-comparing-prices-with-car-insurance-quotes-online/ The modern society has numerous technological advantages. One important advantage is the speed at which information is sent and received. With the help of the internet, the shopping habits of many persons have drastically changed. The car insurance industry hasn't remained untouched by these changes. On the internet, drivers can compare insurance prices and find out which sellers have the best offers. View photos The advantages of comparing online car insurance quotes are the following: Online quotes can be obtained from anywhere and at any time. Unlike physical insurance agencies, websites don't have a specific schedule and they are available at any time. Drivers that have busy working schedules, can compare quotes from anywhere and at any time, even at midnight. Multiple choices. Almost all insurance providers, no matter if they are well-known brands or just local insurers, have an online presence. Online quotes will allow policyholders the chance to discover multiple insurance companies and check their prices. Drivers are no longer required to get quotes from just a few known insurance companies. Also, local and regional insurers can provide lower insurance rates for the same services. Accurate insurance estimates. Online quotes can only be accurate if the customers provide accurate and real info about their car models and driving history. Lying about past driving incidents can make the price estimates to be lower, but when dealing with an insurance company lying to them is useless. Usually, insurance companies will do research about a potential customer before granting him coverage. Online quotes can be sorted easily. Although drivers are recommended to not choose a policy just based on its price, drivers can easily sort quotes by insurance price. Using brokerage websites will allow drivers to get quotes from multiple insurers, thus making the comparison faster and easier. For additional info, money-saving tips, and free car insurance quotes, visit https://compare-autoinsurance.Org/ Compare-autoinsurance.Org is an online provider of life, home, health, and auto insurance quotes. This website is unique because it does not simply stick to one kind of insurance provider, but brings the clients the best deals from many different online insurance carriers. In this way, clients have access to offers from multiple carriers all in one place: this website. On this site, customers have access to quotes for insurance plans from various agencies, such as local or nationwide agencies, brand names insurance companies, etc. "Online quotes can easily help drivers obtain better car insurance deals. All they have to do is to complete an online form with accurate and real info, then compare prices", said Russell Rabichev, Marketing Director of Internet Marketing Company. CONTACT: Company Name: Internet Marketing CompanyPerson for contact Name: Gurgu CPhone Number: (818) 359-3898Email: [email protected]: https://compare-autoinsurance.Org/ SOURCE: Compare-autoinsurance.Org View source version on accesswire.Com:https://www.Accesswire.Com/595055/What-Are-The-Main-Benefits-Of-Comparing-Car-Insurance-Quotes-Online View photos
to request, modification Contact us at Here or [email protected]
- George Santos speaks on House floor during debate whether to expel him
- Israel resumes combat operations against Hamas
- ‘Heartbreaking’: A Canadian family’s fight to improve Alzheimer’s research for women – National
- Dubai’s COP28 president asked about phasing out fossil fuels
- 41 funders, partners endorse new guiding principles for financing climate and health solutions to protect health
- Felicity Huffman finally speaking out about college admissions scandal
- UW Medicine offers breakthrough Alzheimer’s drug – UW Medicine
- ‘UK govt in pockets of fossil fuel companies’
- Over 40 million health professionals demand bold health and climate action at COP28
- Burnett confronts top Israeli official about October 7 intelligence failure
- World AIDS Day 2023: Honoring the early generations of HIV/AIDS researchers and preparing the next
- Second Black man buried in Jackson, Mississippi without family knowing